11.28.2014

{ Diligence & Practice } #58



November 17, 2014

Hola Everyone!
This week we started choir practice for Noche de Luz, a devotional that we're going to perform. It will be us Missionaries…20 plus from the stake and other stake members. I'm singing a solo! It's a little nerve wracking but it'll be fun! I am so excited for Christmas! I know we’re almost at Thanksgiving, but holidays are so great on the mission. Some might think, Christmas, so far away from home? That's horrible! But honestly, it's the best. I love the true spirit of Christmas on the mission. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

 I love the spirit that music brings. It's something I treasure a lot in my life. After practicing for a bit the 4 part hymns, we left all at once for the train and decided to sing as we were waiting for the train. Although it's a little early for Christmas music, we sang Silent Night as we entered the super full train. As we started singing “Nearer My God to Thee”, I thought of D&C 88:63.  It starts out with "Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you..." Our message is a message of God and his Son Jesus Christ. It's a message of peace, love and happiness and it will help anyone grow closer to Christ. We sang and although the train was loud and crowded, we felt a powerful spirit. We all spread out to pass out pass along cards and to talk to the passengers. Music brings such an incredible spirit that adds to the beautiful message of Christ. 

I have learned to love my companion…For all that she is and all that she is not. She is so great to talk to and she is so patient. I've been extremely tired lately which sometimes turns into a bad attitude, so no bueno. But I have learned a lot from our differences and I even find out more and more about myself each day.

I was reading in Alma 43:1 about diligence. Like every other missionary, Alma is a great example for me. He never stopped serving the Lord. After he had finished instructing his sons one more time, without rest, he set out to preach the gospel again.
I am learning that diligence is crucial in every aspect of life. When we are tired, we just keep going! We'll have an eternal rest one day, but for now...get going! I've learned so much about diligence on my mission. I haven’t mastered it completely of course, but it's definitely helped me in this time here in Argentina. I know that through it I can help myself and everyone be more like Christ and see our Heavenly Father again.

There is nothing like being able to feel the spirit of conversion.
3 Nephi 7:21 basically says that practice leads to conversion or perfection...

I still remember the day were I was outside all day with Dad practicing the rainbow with the soccer ball. It got to be so frustrating but when I finally got it down, it was the best feeling ever! Then there was piano practice. I will forever regret not practicing the piano like I should have. When I did practice and did pass a song off however... what a great feeling! In the mission there is nothing like the first time of memorizing a scripture, asking a good question to an investigator, answering their question with a scripture or talking to someone on the street for the first time. There are so many things to practice! Sometimes.... I get sick of practice... but I need to remember that it leads to conversion and to perfection which is what in the end we want and what I want for every investigator to feel. 

Elder Nelson...

What an amazing day. FRONT ROW. He talked to us about learning the language. English, Spanish and the language of the Lord…the scriptures. We have to learn and teach all three! Through practice we become masters. From teaching English I have learned more about my own language. I know that Spanish will be a life long process as well, just like just about everything in the Gospel. (Diligence and Practice)

The word practice....Soccer 3 times a week, we were literally practicing how we were going to play "You play how you practice" If we practice, make mistakes, practice a little more and then play or perform or invite someone to be baptized or give the first lesson, it'll be perfected IN TIME. Then we start the routine again. 

I want to be a good missionary... a great missionary but as it says in 2 Nephi 28:30 that it comes in time…the Lords time and little by little :)

Hermana Nelson taught us that there are so many people prepared... ready to be taught about their pre-existence and where they can end up going…to live with Their Heavenly Father Again! 

Hermana Nelson also spoke and she explained to us that before this life we were all given a list of things to accomplish in our lives, in the gospel. Along with being baptized, entering the temple, enduring to the end, without a doubt, serving a worthy mission in Buenos Aires Argentina is on our list.  She encouraged us to open our eyes to understanding everything a little bit more and then... EVERYTHING changes. Everything happens for a reason. I know it to be true. As time has gone by on the mission, it all just becomes so clear. This is the true church. My Heavenly Father and Savior love me. I love them and I am so grateful for all that I have in this wonderful life. I want to share it all.
She also gave us a CHALLENGE. For 30 days... take your scriptures and say a prayer asking a question of any type to your Heavenly Father. Finances, Emotional Sickness, Helping a friend, Being better... you name it and thank Heavenly Father for the scriptures. Write four columns. The date, The question, Where you found it and, The answer. You will find an answer every time without fail. I am now on my fourth day and it's true. It doesn't matter where we read, we can find it! I invite everyone to do it! :)

 El Elder Zaballos then spoke and mentioned a quote that I really liked.

"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal.
                                                                                                     -CS LEWIS

The whole mission was at the meeting with the Nelsons and The Zaballos. We got to shake their hands and meet them!

The future is SO bright and FULL of happiness. :) 

Happy week of Thanks!  

Have a great week. Love you all.

Until next week! :)

Hermana Barrett

Check out these links! Great talks that help me as I work on patience and diligence in my own life.






Crowded buses is how we roll!

Elder and Sister Dance from the mission office

Hermana Bonilla after choir practice

Ward Girls after Primary Program

Hermana Knowlton

Chocolate Chip Cookie Zone Activity!!

Matchy-Matchy!! #limitedwardrobeprobs

Rockin the Orange!


Setting up the cameras for the Christmas Picture





No comments:

Post a Comment